Monthly Archives: February 2017
Women of Mathematics exhibition tours UK
This touring exhibition, created by mathematicians Sylvie Paycha and Sara Azzali together with photographer Noel Tovia Matoff, started at the 7th European Congress of Mathematics held in July 2016 in Berlin. The thirteen women mathematicians portrayed share their experience. The exhibit hopes to highlight the human aspects of producing mathematics, making this discipline more tangible and therefore more accessible to outsiders or newcomers.
In 2017 the exhibition will be touring the UK.
- 3-7 April 2017, Durham (during the British Mathematical Colloquium 2007); contact: email@example.com
- 25 April 2017 onwards, Cambridge; contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (Carola Schoenlieb)
- 5-12 June 2017, York; contact: Julie.email@example.com
- 29 July – 16 August 2017, Oxford; contact: Dyrol.firstname.lastname@example.org
- 18 September – 10 October 2017, Leeds; contact: E.Issoglio@leeds.ac.uk(Elena Issoglio)
King’s College London will host the exhibit in early 2017; contact: email@example.com
ICMS has copy of the exhibition that will be on display during ICMS events in 2017 contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
CWM grants for 2017 announced
CWM has just announced the twelve successful projects, aimed at forming networks, running workshops or schools, and other projects, which it will be funding in 2017. Events will take place in Brazil, Canada, Chile, India, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Nepal, Tunisia, South Africa and Vietnam. Details can be found here. For the call itself see here.
CWM led proposal wins 300,000 euro grant
CWM has just heard that the IMU proposal to ICSU for the project “A Global approach to the Gender Gap in Mathematical and Natural Sciences : how to measure it, how to reduce it ?” has been successful. The award is of 300,000 Euros for the period 2017-2019. CWM was one of the two lead applicants. The first meeting of the project will be held in Paris in early June. For details see here.